Saturday 21 June 2014

Pants... Check!

With 5 little ladies in tow and no partner in crime abolition I headed to Wells for my God son's first holy communion. It all started well as we were able to sit in the very back of church giving me an easy line of escape should I need to evacuate with a small screaming Bean. I sat with my four frocked up girlies and smuggly congratulated myself on the monumental achievement of arriving in good time, with all children present and correct - Bean was fast asleep giving me a head start in the crowd control stakes but my greatest achievement, or so I thought, was having managed to detangle the coco pops from Beeb's hair. However I was soon to realise ensuring the presence of pants on every one of my darling princesses was to be by far the most valuable investment of time.
Being a Catholic church, we were graced with a great deal of pomp and circumstance. All very lovely, and a facinating display of tradition. But on the hottest day of the year sat snuggly in a pew with 5 fidgety, clammy and frankly bemused darlings and a Mother who is intent on spending the entire service totally unaware of the nose picking,  hair twiddling, toe nail nibbling grandaughters around her. I was, for the first time in the history of parenting, secretly elated to hear the once dreaded words... ' Mummy I need a wee'!
We snuck quietly to the bathroom and took our time in the cool, spacious corridor before returning to the proceedings. Before re-entering the church I took one last calming breath of incense free fresh air... Lord knows I needed it!!!
I should point out at this moment we had been gone less than 5 minutes... more like 3 in reality! ! That is less than 180 seconds. What could possibly go wrong in that time? I mean they were with my Mother...
Some how my service sheet had fallen on the floor and slid forwards under the feet of the row of un-suspecting parishioners in front. Loulou had taken it upon herself to retrieve said item and in doing so had launched head first under the seat thinking nothing of the fact she was wearing a rather pretty, but rather unforgiving summer dress! Needless to say the dress was not doing anything for her modesty and all that remained of my once angelic 7 year old was her bottom sticking up between the rows like Winnie the pooh stuck in a honey pot!!! The poor man next to her didn't know what to do less still how to help! But to be honest, I didn't care! I was too busy basking in the relief that we had a pants check this morning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment